Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> I guess I will test it this weekend or within the next month. But I also
> will test KMail on different installs. I'm undecided what DE I will use
> in the future and also what MUA. For me it's important that I can use
> the same DE and MUA when switching a distro. I'm not fixed to a
> distribution, DE or MUA, I simply use what will fit best to my needs. I
> just don't want to switch too much at the same time, assumed there
> should be the need to do that. Switching the distro and MUA very seldom
> happened in the last ten years, but unfortunately I had to switch the DE
> too often for my taste.

Okay.

> IMO you simply should install several mail clients and keep the mails on
> the server after downloading them, so you could test several MUAs
> without loosing Emails, or without having to worry that you unintended
> download some mails duplicated. If such an issue happens you simply can
> delete the MUAs mail folder. Once you know what MUA is the best one for
> you, you only should use that one and then it's no risk to delete the
> mails after receiving.

Well, but I really don't have much time to install each and everything
and then to decide. But IMO, it would be fine if I install just anyone
and then see its effects for one-two months and then do the same
process with other client....though it seems typical too......! But I
see how to accomplish this....!

> MUAs could behave different depending to the usage of IMAP or POP, you
> perhaps should test this too.

Oh.

> Don't believe a claim that something should be the best MUA, that are
> just our opinions for the way we use MUAs. You should read about
> advantages and drawbacks of mail directory formats, IMAP, POP and then
> verify it on your own ;).

Correct but at least if some particular MUA is used by several people
(more than any other MUA is used by some people) then the particular
MUA is worthy of use. Though I think it could be either of Thunderbird
or Evolution or KMail....but I am not sure which one is used widely
and by maximum no. of people.