Re: Installing Debian inside Windows 7 utilizing VirtualBox

On 24/11/13 01:52, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Hi Members,
>
> I would like to run Debian and test new software packages utilizing
> Debian as a virtual environment. inside my Windows 7 OS. I would like to
> be able to install Debian in this fashion and have the ability to
> utilize a Debian GUI desktop as well.
>
> Question #1 please:
> Would kindly like to know if Oracle's VM VirtualBox is the recommended
> "virtualization software package" to install to accomplish this procedure.

There is not "Debian recommended" virtualization solution for a Windoof
host.

I recommend VirtualBox, but there are other working applications.

> Question #2 please:
> Which "Stable" version of Debian ("Squeeze" or "Wheezy") is recommended
> that would best serve this purpose?

Wheezy is stable, Squeeze is old stable.
Wheezy would, conditionally, be your best choice.

Conditions would be what do you want to do (is the versions of software
important) - you may find you need to run a specific release of mixture
of releases.

> I have been reading about VirtualBox and studying the steps involved to
> install Debian in this manner. I'm sure I will have additional questions
> but would simply like to start with my initial questions above.

Install VirtualBox
Create new machine (Linux, Debian) - follow the prompts changing to suit
you needs (virtual hard drive size, dynamic or fixed size, name of
machine, amount of RAM). Takes two minutes.
Edit the Settings on the new machine to change defaults as required. Add
additional hard/optical drives, change the type of drive, add floppy,
choose sound and network card types, select phsyical or virtual optical
drive (virtual uses ISO images), set network protocols.
Takes 5 minutes to look at all the options.
Choose the boot order and start the VM.
Install Debian as if it was a bare metal install - the documentation on
the *VirtualBox* site is good, but it's unlikely you'll require it as
the process is suitable for chickens if you put a bit of bread on the
Enter key.

> A couple of how-to links I've discovered:
>
> Installing with a GUI desktop:
> https://jtreminio.com/2012/07/setting-up-a-debian-vm-step-by-step/
>
> Installing without a GUI desktop
> http://williamjturkel.net/2013/05/31/installing-debian-linux-in-a-vm/

I look to Debian for documentation first e.g.:-
https://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox

Then the application developer/s e.g.:-
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html#installation_windows

After that I'll consult third-party guides

> Thank you

As for installing Debian into Windoof's VM.... best ask Mr Jerry Stuckle
about the joys and triumphs of that.

But if you're still keen:-
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/VMs/MicrosoftVirtualPc2007/etch

Kind regards