Re: tv watching apps

Thanks for the links, guys. So now on to the troubleshooting part. Since both tvtime and vlc have the problem, I am thinking it is the

The problem is that I am getting video, but not audio, in both tvtime and vlc. So I am trying to determine where the problem lies. She can get audio, for instance, in iceweasel video, and she can play music in her audio app, but not with the TV capture card. So it's either in the sound system or the capture card audio has failed. So where do I start to look in the sound system? I have had a love-hate relationship with pulseaudio, so I don't want to blame it as a knee-jerk reaction. I'm hoping for some reasoned troubleshooting advice wrt pulse. :)

thanks,
--b

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 09:14:32PM -0500, Brad Alexander wrote:
>    I have a hauppague (bt878) card in my wife's machine. It is connected to
>    cable, and she uses tvtime to watch tv in a window on her computer while
>    she works. Unfortunately, every now and again, she will lose audio on it,
>    and I have the damnedest time getting it to work again. I don't know if it
>    is tvtime itself or pulse audio that is the problem. When tvtime is messed
>    up, I can hear a low hum from the speakers, and when I mute tvtime, it
>    goes quiet.
>
>    Since the last release was in Nov 2005, I thought I might try to find
>    something more modern that might play more nicely with pulse. However, all
>    of the sites I have hit thus far have had really, really old apps, or the
>    sites are just gone. I have found apps such as kdetv, kwintv, lintv, etc,
>    but all are old and either dead or unmaintained. Does anyone have any
>    recommendations?

MythTV and/or XBMC are very capable TV solutions, but may be overkill
for what you want. They are basically full-screen "Personal Video
Recorder" solutions (that is, they turn your computer into a TiVo/Sky-Plus type box). If you're after watching TV in a window while getting on with other work, they can be fiddly to work with. But if you're interested in turning the monitor into a TV and sitting back to watch something, then they're good at that.