Re: who uses dual boot? [was: How to start using a free OS]

On 11/12/2013 08:32 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> But, having said that, when one really uses two operating systems on
> the same machine, I expect it's more common to run one under
> virtualization, so you can run both at the same time - dual booting is
> a real pain if one is really USING both operating systems.
>
> What are other people's experiences?  How many folks here use Windows
> (or Mac o/s) on the same machine as a linux distribution? Do you
> dual-boot or do you virtualize?
I dual-boot my current desktop, my previous desktop and my current &
previous laptops. For work, I needed windows for our Outlook, & Office
packages, but used Linux for my personal accounts.

for my desktops, they always came with Windows installed, was XP and my
current desktop has Windows 7 and Linux Mint 15. I rarely now use
Windows 7. I went back to Windows for my current desktop 2 years ago &
tried Windows 7.. Back in July I finally got frustrated enough with the
10 minute boot times, that I installed linux. I was using Adobe
Photoshop Elements, that was the MAIN reason I had not switched before
that, and 3 or 4 times a year I used Hallmark Card Studio. I used
Thunderbird for email so that was easy to backup & move to linux.
I boot windows now once every 2 or 4 weeks just to update the patches.
If I get near running out of space for linux I'll just throw in a second
HD, like I did last time. I have an android phone & tablet that is easy
to sync to linux ( except when logged in using trinity DM) and I use
ImageMagix & GIMP for my photo manipulation. I ran linux as my primary
desktop since about 1990, but I work in the windows environment...
Right now my work laptop is running Windows 7( corporate, I can't change
it), sitting right next to my Linux desktop that I am typing on.

--
Paul Cartwright