Re: Different weird update by apt-get and aptitude

Sven Joachim wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > So then to preserve the upstart configuration would you recommend
> > marking it as 'hold' so that apt-get won't consider the action in the
> > future?  I think this is needed.
> >
> >   apt-mark hold upstart
> >
> > I tested that in a VM and it seemed to avoid the problem of it being
> > presented as an upgrade candidate.
>
> While this might avoid removal of upstart in favor of sysvinit, it will
> also prevent upgrades of upstart which is probably not really desired.

Hmm...  Yes.  But in that case it should say something to the effect
"upstart package held back" and so you should at least have
notification that there is a newer upstart package and can upgrade it
manually.  And it would prevent an accidental reversion to sysvinit if
upstart were desired.  I suppose a pinning solution (of which I do not
know) might the better solution.

Actually the best solution is probably to understand why the
installation of sysvinit caused a problem.  Since most Wheezy machines
run that way.  And then just revert to it.  Then the entire issue is
avoided.  The battle of inits isn't being fought in Wheezy.  Better to
put that off until the future Jessie can sort it out.  Just my opinion.

Bob