Re: free-software phone: neo900

green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> writes:

> Something that might be of interest to Debian users: the neo900, at
> <http://neo900.org>, is intended to be a successor of the Nokia N900,
> with significantly improved specifications and features, as well as
> full free software support (excluding PowerVR 3D acceleration).  It is
> even (as of this writing) planned to have Debian GNU/Linux as the
> bundled OS.
>
> Comments?

This sounds pretty cool. I hope they pull it off in the end, but I might
wait for it to drop in price. 6-850 EUR is a bit hefty for my
pockets. I'd like to see some kind of reduced-specs version that cost a
little less. For instance, I don't need a barometer in my phone. I could
also do without the front facing camera or even the 5MP if it meant a
price reduction.

And with a highly configurable system like Debian GNU/Linux, I wouldn't
mind having similar specs to the original N900 for a smaller price
tag. I fully commend the project for trying to advance free software in
the mobile world; that said, part of the idea for me is options. :)

/mytwocents