Re: can't find pae kernel after a new install

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013, Jochen Spieker wrote:

You do not need PAE with an AMD64 installation and your 64 Bit system
will not boot using a 32 Bit kernel. If you really, really want to have
a 686-PAE kernel then you need to enable multiarch.

  hi Jochan,
  thanks for your comments. I wanted to finish my laptop install
  before replying.
  I actually needed multiarch, not for the PAE kernel, but to install
  some packages which are only available for i386
  - xv (I don't know any other so powerful program, especially for printing)
  - skype
  After fighting several hours to install xv, I at last enabled multiarch
  with dpkg --add-architecture i386. After that, the xv install
  took about 1 minute.
  What remains unexplained is that I  had the 3.10-3-686-pae kernel
  on my old install, and I never enabled multiarch (At that time, I even ignored
  this possibility).Is there an other explanation than Alzheimer?

the installed kernel being 3.2.0-4-amd64  lot of packages I had on my old
install are now unavailable.

Not if you don't tell us which packages you are missing (except for
kernel packages).

  I didn't give te list, as the number was about 280.
  They were on my old install, but I discovered afterwhile that a lot of them
  came from jessie (I added jessie some time ago in my old install)

  I feel useful to add the following comment, even if this is off topic:
  I discovered that a lot of my problems came from my obstination to use
  apt-get. For example, it was strictly impossible to complete the install
  of texlive, apt-get giving an inifinite loop of unmet dependencies.
  Shifting to aptitude miraculously solved all problems. Nevertheless,
  I found that "apt-get -f install" is still necessary in some cases,
  when aptitude's only "solution" is to remove 600 packages...

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel