Re: No space left on device (28) but device is NOT full!

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Tazman Deville <tazmandevil@gmx.com> wrote:
> Just since yesterday, I'm seeing this PHP error

meaning the "No space left on device (28)" you mention in the subject,
I suppose.

> on the scuttle installation on a little server here
> I have.
> Scuttle is installed from the debian repos.
> The server is running Squeeze still (I know..
> I should upgrade it, but I'll spend a day ironing
> out dovecot and postfix when I do, so haven't gotten
> around to it).
>
> Now, the device is far from full.
> df -h shows:
> /dev/sda7              26G  9.7G   15G  40% /
> tmpfs                 949M     0  949M   0% /lib/init/rw
> udev                  944M  200K  944M   1% /dev
> tmpfs                 949M     0  949M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda1             2.8G   85M  2.6G   4% /boot
> /dev/sda5             154G   52G   95G  36% /home
>
> Googling (or dukgoing, or ixquicking)
> just shows a lot of stuff about "duh, your disk is full",
> but it isn't.
> Somewhere, I think on LinuxQuestions.org, I'd
> found something about the aptitude package cache,
> yesterday when this happened, so I did
> aptitude autoclean
> and that seemed to resolve the problem.
> Today, however, it is not working.
>
> What could be causing this, and how may I resolve it?
> The machine is a 3.2ghz celeron with 1.5gb ram.
> You can see the storage parameters from df -h, of course.
>
> Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Taz
> --
> http://tazmandevil.info
> taz hungry

The first thing that I check when I get disk full errors but the disks
are not full is the permissions. Sometimes, software just assumes that
any time the system refuses to write it's that the disk is full.

Then you should check whether you've set quotas up. In Java, there
would be policies to check. And so forth.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.