Re: Installing same packages in a Squeeze installation in a new Wheezy installation

On 11/4/2013 10:05 AM, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
On 04/11/13 14:50, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 07:56:27AM -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 11/4/2013 7:19 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 02:20:17PM -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
In a new box where the Wheezy OS will be freshly installed I want to
install all the packages which I presently have in a box with Squeeze.

Why can't you just upgrade?
IOW, unlikely that you'll get any help with your "jump through the
hoops" method.

Maybe because it's a new box so there's nothing to upgrade?

I'm looking for the same information - for the same reason.

What information for what reason? If you mean to take a selection of
installed packages from a Squeeze box (unfortunate name) and apply some
sort of dpkg --get-selections/dpkg --set-selections onto a Wheezy box
then I would advise against it.

Who knows what gruels are waiting in the dark.

I may be wrong, and it is a supported method, but if it coughs at some
point, I'd hate to be the one to (help) clean up the mess.

Instead it would make more sense to install a fresh Wheezy system and
then install the top level packages you require.

Or install Squeeze on the new box do the dpkg --get-selections/dpkg
--set-selections thing, THEN upgrade to Wheezy.

Anyone else have any better ideas?

I asked the self-same question here back in july:

I got some help/advice, but for various reasons, which I can't remember,
it was all broken, and didn't work...

I gave up; cleaning up the mess consisted of reformatting, and redoing
a netinstall.
I then installed/removed packages manually. TBH, it didn't take too much
effort, and certainly wasn't worth the effort trying to "JTTH" ;)

It would seem that this is raised often enough that it might be worth
developing a method to support this, but it would need a lot more than
my flimsy understanding of the debian packaging system to do this.

Tony,

I'm glad it worked for you. But what if you're not the only one who has worked on this system, and don't have a documented list of packages which have been installed?

Jerry