Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Marko Randjelovic <markoran@eunet.rs> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:55:44 -0400
> John <JohnRChamplin@wowway.com> wrote:

>> Could someone who has been following the giant fuss on -devel over
>> init systems explain why there's such a sense of dire urgency?
>
> Decisions like changing such an essential part of OS should not be made
> in rush.

It's not being done in a rush. This has been discussed at length on
debian-devel a number of times in the last two years.

> SysVInit simply works. Symbolic links are a simple and natural way to
> control system startup. We have update-rc.d. And LSB tags provide
> protection for order of services.

When you run "systemctl enable sshd.service", symlinks to sshd.service
are created in "/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/" so your
"simple and natural way to control system startup" is still in effect
in systemd. :)