Re: Installing same packages in a Squeeze installation in a new Wheezy installation

On 04/11/13 14:50, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 07:56:27AM -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>
>>> Why can't you just upgrade?
>>> IOW, unlikely that you'll get any help with your "jump through the
>>> hoops" method.
>>>

>> Maybe because it's a new box so there's nothing to upgrade?
>>
>> I'm looking for the same information - for the same reason.
>
> What information for what reason? If you mean to take a selection of
> installed packages from a Squeeze box (unfortunate name) and apply some
> sort of dpkg --get-selections/dpkg --set-selections onto a Wheezy box
> then I would advise against it.
>
> Who knows what gruels are waiting in the dark.
>
> I may be wrong, and it is a supported method, but if it coughs at some
> point, I'd hate to be the one to (help) clean up the mess.
>
> Instead it would make more sense to install a fresh Wheezy system and
> then install the top level packages you require.
>
> Or install Squeeze on the new box do the dpkg --get-selections/dpkg
> --set-selections thing, THEN upgrade to Wheezy.
>
> Anyone else have any better ideas?

I asked the self-same question here back in july:

I got some help/advice, but for various reasons, which I can't remember,
it was all broken, and didn't work...

I gave up; cleaning up the mess consisted of reformatting, and redoing
a netinstall.
I then installed/removed packages manually. TBH, it didn't take too much
effort, and certainly wasn't worth the effort trying to "JTTH" ;)

It would seem that this is raised often enough that it might be worth
developing a method to support this, but it would need a lot more than
my flimsy understanding of the debian packaging system to do this.

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |