Re: 3D printer

On 3 November 2013 10:57, Mirco Piccin <pictux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>> I would like to start a topic on 3d printers. Does anyone here have
>> experience in using such printers with debian/linux?
>
> here i am :)
>
>> What brand would you recommend?
>> How about kits?
>
> i'm using an opensource 3d printer (RepRap project), specifically a Prusa i2.
> It arrived as a kit.
> Low price and good results.
> Take a "tour" on the project wiki:
> www.reprap.org
> (there's also a forum)
>
>> What software is there available in debian repositories to create 3D
>> projects that can be directly printed?
>
> if you are a programmer, use OpenSCAD.
> Or you can use Blender.
> (both opensource),
>
> Then you need to export your object in STL format.
> Then you need to use Slic3r (that is an italian opensource slicing sw)
> http://slic3r.org/
> to generate gcode from this STL.
> At this point you need a 3d printer :)
>
>> Thanks any input.
>
> regards
> Mirco

Hi Mirco,

Very nice tip. Thanks!

I'm looking forward to build one. From the link you gave, I see there
is some models to build:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Build_A_RepRap

[1] Prusa Mendel
Full-sized RepRap, Focused On Low Cost and Ease of Sourcing

[2] MendelMax
Full-sized RepRap Focused on Structural Rigidity and Ease of Assembly

[3] Wallace
Smaller RepRap designed to reduce part count and minimize complexity of build

[4] Original Mendel
The first Mendel design: fully functional, but more complicated than
later variants

[5] RepRapPro Huxley
Smaller RepRap design to reduce part count and give portability.

[6] RepRapPro Tricolour Mendel
RepRap design that gives multi-material/multi-colour 3D printing.

And the "Legacy RepRap 3D Printers. "
These designs have been replaced by more recent ones (so build them at
your own risk).If you are new to RepRap, you should probably start
with Prusa Mendel (if you want a big build volume) or Huxley (if you
want a small machine).

[6] Original Huxley
The Original Mini RepRap

[7] Darwin
The first RepRap

-------

Very good options! What is the model you have? Did you find it
difficult to assembly or find the required pieces?

Thanks!
Beco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by
doing them" (Aristotle)