Re: Why syslog is not rotating?

Can syslog rotate logs? I just use logrotate.

Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013, Sven Hartge wrote:

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 21:47:11 +0100
From: Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Why syslog is not rotating?

Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

Can someone help me, please, to understand why syslog is not rotating?

The system ist not running at the time when cron.daily is scheduled to
run? --> anacron takes care of that.

Sven,

Thank you for your reply.

My system was continuously on except for ve ry short random periods and
3 weeks on Aug 2013. In contrast, the listing below shows (I believe)
that syslog stopped rotating at 2010.

# ls -gh /var/log/syslog*
-rw-r----- 1 adm 219M Nov 2 21:50 syslog
-rw-r----- 1 adm 2.5K Jun 5 2010 syslog.1
-rw-r----- 1 adm 0 Nov 1 07:50 syslog.1.gz
-rw-r----- 1 adm 661 Jun 5 2010 syslog.2.gz

However:
I checked /etc/cron.daily and did not find entry for rsyslog.
Maybe that's the cause?

Or somehow there is an error and logrotate refuses to run. In that case
run logrotate manually with the debug-switch "-d" and see if anything
strange appears.

Is logrotate responsible for rotating syslog files?
Information on the net [1] suggests it's not.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Rsyslog

I am confused...

Finally, I should point out that, I have just completed dist-upgrade
from squeeze to wheezy with no major problems.
This issue came up as I was cleaning-up after the upgrade.

Many thanks,
Itay

Grüße,
Sven.