Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM, André Nunes Batista
<andrenbatista@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-30 at 14:22 +0000, Tom H wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM, John <JohnRChamplin@wowway.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Could someone who has been following the giant fuss on -devel over
>>> init systems explain why there's such a sense of dire urgency?
>>>
>>> Is it provoked by systemd's effort to be adopted having at least found
>>> a home with gnome, made urgent by gnome's status as our default?
>>
>> Although this isn't the first debian-devel systemd-slugfest, there's
>> more of a sense of urgency and finality this time because GNOME 3.8
>> depends on logind, and, other than on Ubuntu for systemd <=204, that
>> means that GNOME 3.8 depends on systemd-as-pid-1.
>
> And does one really needs Gnome? Based on the level of user
> dissatisfaction I'd say Gnome shouldn't interfere with boot process.
> Especially one that tries to bundle everything... maybe gnome-devs are
> trying hard to address smarts, tablets and gadgets only?

It's not a question of need; some people like/prefer GNOME.

Part of the discussion and a possbile solution is ensure that a DE
doesn't depend on a se=pecific init.

It's silly to dismiss GNOME-Shell and Unity as tablet-targeted
interfaces when Apple's been using essentially the same interface for
13 years, long before iPads, iPhones, and touch iPods.