Re: Hosting advice

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:22:37 -0700
David Guntner <david@guntner.com> wrote:

> I've been a happy customer of Dreamhost for many years.  They support
> mailing lists, announcement lists, as many hosted mailboxes and
> forwarding addresses as you can handle, offer both shared hosting and
> VPS services, and are running Linux.  Currently my VPS is Debian, though
> they announced recently that they're going to be switching to Ubuntu so
> that they can get new software updates faster than Debian typically
> supplies them.  But I figure that will still *feel* like Debian, so I'm
> not that worried about it. :-)

I'm curious: how important is getting updates fast in the context of a
server? I understand that for desktops, some want the latest features,
or support for new hardware, etc. but servers? Doesn't it make more
sense to just run something like Debian *stable*?

I am no hosting expert, so it's not a criticism - I'm just curious.

Celejar