Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

 Hi.

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:35:40 +0100
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 01.11.2013 10:23, Reco a écrit :
> > On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 09:58:26PM +0100,
> > berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> >> That's not gnome which changes the boot process. It's systemd. It
> >> simply happens that gnome depends on systemd in Debian build.
> >> Since AFAIK gnome is still available on platforms not based on linux
> >> kernel, unlike systemd, I really think that it's gnome maintainer's
> >> choice to have this hard dependency.
> >
> > One of GNOME developers says that:
> >

> > http://blogs.gnome.org/ovitters/2013/09/25/gnome-and-logindsystemd-thoughts/
> >
> > Apparently GDM 3.8 assumes that an init system will also clean up any
> > processes it started. This is what systemd does, but OpenRC didn’t
> > support that. Which means that GDM under OpenRC would leave lingering
> > processes around, making it impossible to restart/shutdown GDM
> > properly.
> >
> > Debian GNOME packagers are planning the same AFAIK; they rather just
> > rely on systemd …
> >

> > So, Debian maintainers had a choice: make systemd an dependency to
> > GDM.
> > Or, ship GDM that behaves funny.
>
> So the problem is that only systemd which is able to manage daemon's
> lives? I mean, if another tools was able (maybe upstart or any other, I
> have no idea if one does the same thing) to control daemons' lives, it
> could be used instead of systemd without any problem?

For this specific daemon - yes, it's can be managed correctly by
systemd only. At least, the man says so.
The reason is (the way I see it) - GDM is now designed with systemd in
mind, it does nothing to cleanup after itself. You use anything other
than systemd to start GDM, try to stop GDM - it leaves gdm* processes.
No other daemon known to me behaves like that.

> PS: was it intended to send that reply only to me and not to the list?

OOPS. No, it was intended for the list.

Reco