RE: ANDROID (back to the OQ)

-----Original Message-----
From: ken [mailto:gebser@mousecar.com]
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2013 4:20 AM
To: Doug
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ANDROID (back to the OQ)

On 10/31/2013 03:51 PM Doug wrote:
> On 10/31/2013 02:56 PM, ken wrote:
>> On 10/31/2013 02:02 PM Beco wrote:
>>> On 31 October 2013 13:12, ken <gebser@mousecar.com
>>> <mailto:gebser@mousecar.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>>      Alex,

>>>      When you buy a phone with android on it, you don't have root access
>>>      to the system.  You're just a regular user.  Yes, you can root the
>>>      phone, but then you invalidate the warrantee, from what I
>>>      understand, both the software and hardware warrantees.  So if
>>>      something fails on your phone, the company whom you bought it from
>>>      won't provide support.  If something breaks (whether it's software
>>>      or hardware), you're on your own.  There are some android-specific
>>>      lists which could be helpful.
>>>
>>> [cut]
>
> I may be wrong, but I seem to remember seeing somewhere recently that
> it is illegal in the United States to jailbreak a phone.
> (I don't know how they'd catch you, or what the penalty would be.)
>
> --doug

Many years ago-- well, between ten and twenty, I believe-- there was legislation which allowed people to install any kind of phones they wanted in their home or business.  Prior to this AT&T would permit only its own phones and phone systems.  This same was interpreted to allow people to install whatever software on their own phones that they wanted.  I'm (still) not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that's the situation today, i.e., you bought it, it's yours, so you can do what you want with it, including jailbreaking it.  But doing so would more than likely invalidate any warrantee and support agreement that came with the phone.

Should you wish to look this up, its called the "Carterphone decision"
Larry