Re: Hosting advice

On Friday, November 1, 2013 09:45, "Jerry Stuckle" <jstuckle@attglobal.net> said:

> And what reason do you want to go to a VPS or even a dedicated server?
> Unless your buddy's website is getting dozens of hits a second, it is
> way overkill.  And it comes at a price (both $$$ and time) to match.

Sorry, I meant when we grow to the point of needing something like that.
Right now, and for the foreseeable future, simple hosting is more than
good enough. The web presence will more or less just be a contact page
for now, and that's easy enough. I just figured proper planning at this
stage will come in handy one of these days.

> It's obvious this is a new area for you.  My recommendation would be to
> find a good shared host and let the experts manage the system.  It's a
> lot different than managing a home system, especially security.  As an
> example, my servers get attacks from a dozen or so different ip
> addresses each day, coming in through smtp, pop3, imap and/or ssh ports.
>   You can't just shut those off - you need them open.  So you have to
> take additional steps to stop the attacks while letting valid traffic
> through.  You have to ensure your email server doesn't become a SPAM
> relay.  And this is just the start.  It's a constant battle that a good
> hosting company knows how to fight successfully.

Advice taken, and thanks. In the end it turns out that EasyDNS offers
email hosting and I opted for that for the sake of expediency. That takes
the pressure off for the next few days at least.

Again, thanks to you and everyone. I received some excellent advice. Now,
off to grow the business!

Craig

Sent - Gtek Web Mail