Re: Hosting advice

On 10/31/2013 11:06 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 10/31/2013 03:53 PM, Craig L. wrote:
I have a good friend that is in a sticky situation and has turned to
me for help. I'm not 100% sure of how to advise him so I figured I
would pose our question here.
He lives in Texas, in the USA. He is starting his own business, and a
bit sooner than he planned. He has a domain registered to him. He
needs to be able to set up email service asap, with an eye towards
eventually setting up a web site for the operation. I know GoDaddy
offers these types of services, but I'm not a big fan of GoDaddy.
Since I will probably be the system administrator for a while, I would
prefer a hosting service that offers a Linux OS, preferably Debian,
and PostgreSQL or MySQL, again preferably PostgreSQL.
May I trouble you good people for suggestions that meet these needs?
We would like to have at least one working email address by close of
business tomorrow (Friday, 1 November), or Monday at the latest.

If you want a virtual private server (VPS), I had a good experience with
a Linode:

     https://www.linode.com/

They offer several OS's, including Debian 6 and 7.

HTH,

David

David,

I agree with Linode for VPS's - that's who I use. But at the same time, I have several sites running on it, and it does take a significant amount of time to manage correctly. I haven't even gotten them all updated to Wheezy yet (I thoroughly test before any major upgrade). It does seem to be a bit much for a single, low-traffic (at least to start) site, when there are easier and cheaper solutions available. That's why I didn't recommend them.

Jerry