Re: apt-get vs. aptitude

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 06:04 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 02:56:13AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 19:40 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> > > I suspect that the problem's in the examples above are simply PEBKAC.
> >
> > Likely, since the libre to break a system temporarily sometimes is
> > needed to fix issues, or to make transitions.
> >
> > We are humans, so something like "Once it suggested me to remove most of
> > my system, including apt, I thought it was going to upgrade it so I
> > confirmed it" happens from time to time. ...
>
> Is it that badly worded?

No, but it's a mistake to enter "yes" after unconcentrated reading when
you're root. 1. Unconcentrated reading might cause that you're thinking
"upgrade" while it is a "remove". 2. Even if it's an upgrade, check what
should be upgraded, before you upgrade. Perhaps the distro has got a
homepage with news about latest upgrades.

There's pathological dissociation, but also "normal" dissociation. It's
human to be "unconcentrated". If a human e.g. drives each day the same
way from home to work by car, then it often happens that this quasi is
done "unknowingly"/"automated". You still will notice traffic lights
etc., there's less risk by this "normal" dissociation, but if you do
something administrative this "normality" is dangerous, that's why means
of protection are needed. We should train to change our behaviour, when
doing something administrative, IOW after giving the root password and
we should make backups. Training this does work, but isn't perfect, so
we still could make a mistake.