Re: apt-get vs. aptitude

On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 19:40 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> I suspect that the problem's in the examples above are simply PEBKAC.

Likely, since the libre to break a system temporarily sometimes is
needed to fix issues, or to make transitions.

We are humans, so something like "Once it suggested me to remove most of
my system, including apt, I thought it was going to upgrade it so I
confirmed it" happens from time to time. There are two recommendations
to prevent against too much trouble, caused by such mistakes.

1. - making backups
2. - even if an upgrade should be executed, no user should simply
     confirm it with a "yes", before taking care about the packages.

     New is always better, a glass of Jumbo Jims Grape Scotch sounds
     lovely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPr-ezXHAsY

Regards,
Ralf