Re: I have an Openoffice question for small business.

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 23:21:29 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 09.10.2013 23:04, Joe a écrit :
> > On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 12:52:43 -0300
> > Ezequiel <ezequielandrush@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks to all for your replies. I am actually pinning OO in order
> >> to use oldstable versions. I guess I will try to compile it an
> >> make my own repos. You were very helpfull.
> >>

> > Bear in mind that OOo and LO use Java for various purposes, and
> > Java is
> > under continuous siege from the bad guys.
>
> But Java is not a dependency, it is only recommended. Those tools
> works fine without java. I would not even have thought half a minute
> to install them otherwise, and not because of security breaches in
> java ( which will more often be used via internet browsers, not for
> something like an office suite ).

As I said, I'm not a power user of most of LO, perhaps it isn't used
elsewhere, but it's a dependency of Base. Despite this, I had Base
installed without Java, but was unable to do much by way of connecting
to data without it.

I have a vague recollection that originally, OOo was written in Java
which years ago was popular for writing cross-platform applications. If
so, clearly LO is removing it progressively, and it may disappear from
Base at some point. I do know attitude of the US Dept. of Homeland
Security towards Java, and its days anywhere may be numbered.

--
Joe