Re: apt-get vs. aptitude

On 10/08/2013 08:57 AM, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:
On 2013-10-08 Florian Lindner wrote:

What is the prefered tool for installing on the CLI? apt-get or
aptitude? Last time I read about it, it was aptitude, due to better
dependency checking. What is the current state? apt-get or aptitude?
Does it matter? What about using both?
Both use libapt-pkg, so when used from the command line I don't think it
matters which you use.

   Morten

I had asked the same question a year ago or so and changed from aptitude to apt-get with using dist-upgrade for upgrades on both. On aptitude I was getting recommended packages no being installed but they are all installed using apt-get. I had always wondered about the recommends being held back and have found no problem having them installed using apt-get.

Hope that helps.
whit