Re: mediatomb install fails on wheezy

On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 05:09:21PM +0200, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> Trying to install mediatomb on wheezy, I got:
>
>    serious bugs of mediatomb (-> 0.12.1-4) <marked as done in some version>
>    #677959 - mediatomb: fails to build against current version of
>    libavformat (Fixed: mediatomb/0.12.1-5)
>
> I have several question about this error:

What does the bug report say about #677959?

> 1/ what means "fixed mediatomb/0.12.1-5" ?

The bug no longer exists in version 0.12.1-5

[bug triaging snipped]

>    NB: after that, I downloaded the source, and built it succesfully !!
>    (still version 0.12.1-4)

So *you* couldn't reproduce it, doesn't mean bug doesn't exist for
someone. (e.g. did you use same libavformat source as bug submitter?)

> So, I still don't understand why "apt-get install"  fails.

FTBFS, etc are source package errors have nothing to do with "apt-get
install" failing.  Humans still need to read the output of
apt-listbugs and decide for themselves whether that bug will affect
them.

> 4/ more generally, I had  recently a lot of such apt-listbugs errors when
>    trying to install packages. This seems surprizing for a distro
>    released about 6 monts ago.

*Anyone* can submit a bug at *anytime*.

Note: I have no knowledge of this bug, and have not read the bug report.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X