Re: Typing in bar characters (accented characters?)

On Mi, 21 aug 13, 23:30:19, Bob Proulx wrote:

>   dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
>
> That asks me what I want set up for AltGr and Compose.  I selected
> Right Alt and Right Control.  That resulted in this configuration in
> the /etc/default/keyboard file.  (Can anyone explain to me what "lv3"
> means in this?  The rest is obvious.)
>
>   XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,compose:rctrl,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

This hasn't been answered as far as I can tell:

AFAICT 'lv3:ralt_switch' means that 'Right Alt' will be used as the
modifier key for the Level 3. AFAIK key maps can have 4 levels:

Level 1: no modifier
Level 2: key + Level 2 modifier (usually Shift)
Level 3: key + Level 3 modifier (usually AltGr)
Level 4: key + Level 4 modifier (usually Shift+AltGr)

Hope this explains,
Andrei