Re: Re: How to install latest VLC 2.1.0 in debian

two things.

thing number one:

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 11:15:05AM +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
Actually, I just changed the subject of another thread and it came up as
a different thread on mailing list!

I will try out the deb-multimedia repository. Thanks!

Just be aware of the problems in doing so.

it is possible that the problems you allude to may not be obvious to
the OP.

my understanding is that the package repository hosted at
deb-multimedia.org is unassociated with the debian project.[1]

developed by internet strangers as well!  why trust the debian project
any more than whoever is responsible for deb-multimedia.org?"

my reply is that the relatively public and open nature of the debian
project makes it easy for me to satisfy my curiosity, insofar as i am
curious about how the sausage is made (and find the time to
investigate).

i should also add that debian seems to attract other people curious
about how the sausage is made, not unlike the way a fresh pile of sh*t
attracts flies.

warranted or not, i find this somewhat reassuring.

anyway, my point here is this: i know of no particular reason to cast
aspersions against those responsible for deb-multimedia.org.  but, on
the other hand, i know of no particular reason to trust them not to be
dumb, malicious, or both.

thing number two: