Re: Re (3): Multiplicity of accounts.

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> But people using the same userid/password on multiple sites is still
> a huge problem.  That's why hacking relatively innocuous sites to
> get userid/password lists is so big; they really don't care about
> breaking into that site (which typically isn't as secure as your
> bank, or good eCommerce sites, for instance).  What they want are
> the userids and passwords which are also used on more secure sites.
> That's why the recommendation to use different passwords (even if
> you use the same userid) on different sites.

Agreed.  This article states that the average web user has 25 accounts
but uses an average of 6.5 passwords across them.  I think that is a
low number of accounts for the average user these days.

If anyone is reusing account names and passwords hopefully this
article will scare them out of that bad practice.  (shudder)

  Why passwords have never been weaker—and crackers have never been stronger
  http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/passwords-under-assault/

And of course everything worth discussing has already been on XKCD.

  Password Reuse
  http://xkcd.com/792/

Bob