Re: device naming (was: should an end user stick to a kernel with an initrd?)

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Linux-Fan <Ma_Sys.ma@web.de> wrote:
On 09/28/2013 04:54 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I only want to mention that this never happened on my machine within the
> last >= 10 years and I turn my PC often on and off. How often does it
> switch on your machine? Does anybody experience that sda became sdb
> after rebooting? I don't claim that this can't happen.

I have a similar situation here: The device names never change -- sda is
always the same disk etc.

This may be true in some setups/motherboards.

Others will have different experiences, e.g. when a motherboard has two or more disk controllers (e.g. one for SATA RAID and one for "regular" SATA), or you have a controller in a PCIe slot and use disks on either the controller or the motherboard, or you have several controllers in PCIe slots.
--
Jan