Re: Building computer

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:57:43 -0400 (EDT), Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:

> Questions for people who compile kernel and their machines:
>
> How long a "considered fast" kernel compilation would last? I'd like to
> have a clue. And in what kind of computer (processor / RAM / anything else
> relevant)?
>
> Thanks!
> Beco.

I haven't been following this thread, but I happened to notice this
particular post.

That depends on many factors, such as the speed of your processor, the
speed of your hard disk drive, how you have your kernel configured, the
architecture you use and how many drivers are available for it, etc.
For my 32-bit Xeon processor (2.40 GHz) compiling for the i386 architecture,
using a kernel configuration that is not too much different from a stock
Debian kernel, it takes hours.  The machine has 4G of RAM.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :