Re: Sound But No CD Sound - Pulseaudio Problem?

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 14:28:32 -0400
"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 01:55:59PM -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:14:00 -0400

> > > Could this be a pulseaudio problem?  Something wrong in my
> > > setup?  In /etc/fstab I have /dev/sr0	/cdrom
> > > iso9550,ro,user,noauto.  The command cdplay like workbone starts
> > > reading the CD but no sound. Perhaps the signal is being
> > > redirected to nowhere?
> >
> > That's possible. I had problems with sound when pulseaudio was
> > installed by recommends at one time. I removed pulseaudio and all
> > was well again. On my current setup with xfce there is no puleaudio
> > and I have no problems with sound.
> >
> > libpulse0 and libpulse-mainloop-glib0 are installed but all is well.
> >
> Tried purging pulseaudio.  This did not solve the problem, just
> removed the handy volume control from the top lin of the gnome
> desktop. Reinstalled pulseaudio as that volume control is very
> convenient.

I think gnome depends on pulseaudio now...

> I don't understand why there is no cd source volume sider in
> alsamixer. There used to be one.  Still that is probably irrelevant
> as there is sound output from the cd as proved by ripit which writes
> an ogg file that ogg123 can play with sound coming out the speakers.

I just noticed I don't have a CD slider either although I used to have
one. I haven't looked for a long time so I'm not sure when it
disappeared but I can play CD's with vlc and they play as always.

I'm not sure what the problem could be.