Re: Re (2): Scanning in Wheezy.

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 08:14:16AM -0700, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> From:	"John L. Cunningham" <djohngo@gmail.com>

> > ... then reconnect the scanner to see if it is recognized.
>
> I'm reluctant to "hotplug" the SCSI cable but
> gimp > File > Create > QuiteInsane > Select Device
> still gives "No local devices were found."

Powercycling the scanner should be fine.

What happens if you run Xsane? Does it find anything?

Can you tell from the logs if your scanner is being recognized at all?
Is it being added under /dev/sgX? Does it log any errors?

> > I had a similar problem with my IIc.
>
> Problems were in Wheezy only?  Here the ScanJet always
> worked in Squeeze and this problem appeared only in
> Wheezy.  I can study bug reports and file one if necessary.
> As a last resort upgrade Wheezy -> Squeeze. =8~)

I switched to Wheezy from Xubuntu 8.04, so yes, the problems were only
in Wheezy, but I don't think that helps you.

Reading "Information about SCSI scanners"
from here: http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux
might not be a waste of time. It should at least help you figure out
what's going on.
--
John