Re: Sid wants to remove lots of packages

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 16:56:15 +0800, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

If I try to install any package I see a list of some 80 packages which
were automatically installed and are no longer required. The list
includes apt, grub-pc-bin, and grub2-common.

Obviously I'm not goint to remove all these; particulaly losing apt
would be a disaster. Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

AC

 I think these are 'meta-packages' and can be safely removed.
http://wiki.debian.org/tasksel

"Note that in DebianWheezy and beyond tasksel provides and uses dummy packages (known as meta packages) to pull required dependencies."

but as there are 80 packages (seems heck a lot), be careful to verify first. So leave them alone till you're sure.

Cheers