boot fails on wheezy

After a problem with a ligthscribe dvd, I had to reboot my PC,
After that, impossible to boot. Even the "grub loading" message is
absent.Booting with the wheezy install cd in rescue mode, I tried almost all the known
tricks to recover (except "sudo grub", as now the grub executable no more
exists): nothing worked. More precisely, "update-grub2" seemed to work,
according its log, but the boot still fails.
Now I don't know where to look at. Can anybody give me a hint?

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel