Re: Should I trust SMART monitoring tools or the Linux kernel drivers?

>> [35223.216654] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/8, error -110
>> [35226.942174] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/8, error -71
>> ~
>> I have read it happens as a protective measure when its interfacing
>> circuitry notices that the USB cable does not provide enough power

Looks like the problem is in the communication between the drive's
enclosure and your computer.  The drive is probably just fine.

> Hm.. I'm not sure whether SMART applies to USB devices, but I could
> well be wrong here.

Depends on the USB<->SATA bridge used in the enclosure.  Some support
SMART and some part of hdparm as well (e.g. set timeout for spin-down);
the only problem is that it's terribly difficult to know which ones do
and which ones don't, without actually buying them and trying them out,
because such details are basically never documented.

        Stefan