Re: Using equivs to override task-desktop dependency on xserver-xorg-video-all

  I am not subscribed to the list.  Did I managed to set In-reply-to
header?  The thread this message belongs to is

  I think Claudius Hubig was right with the observation that task-desktop
pulled many packages:
As proposed by Andrei POPESCU, I have unmarkauto the specific
xserver-xorg-video that matches my hardware.  Here is the consequnces:

    $ aptitude -sy remove xserver-xorg-video-all
    Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    Reading extended state information...
    Initializing package states...
    Reading task descriptions...
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      xserver-xorg-video-all
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 63.5 kB will be freed.
     task-desktop : Depends: xserver-xorg-video-all but it is not going to be installed.

         Remove the following packages:
    1)     task-desktop
    2)     task-lxde-desktop

    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      gimp{u} gimp-data{u} gnome-accessibility-themes{u}
      gnome-themes-standard{u} gnome-themes-standard-data{u} hyphen-en-us{u}
      libamd2.2.0{u} libbabl-0.1-0{u} libfs6{u} libgegl-0.2-0{u} libgimp2.0{u}
      libilmbase6{u} liblightdm-gobject-1-0{u} libmng1{u} libopenexr6{u}
      libopenraw1{u} libpoppler-glib8{u} libsdl1.2debian{u} libumfpack5.4.0{u}
      libwmf0.2-7{u} libxklavier16{u} lightdm{u} lightdm-gtk-greeter{u} lxde{u}
      lxtask{u} task-desktop{a} task-lxde-desktop{a} x11-apps{u}
      x11-session-utils{u} x11-xfs-utils{u} xinit{u} xorg{u} xsane{u}
      xsane-common{u} xserver-xorg-video-all
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 35 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 91.0 MB will be freed.
    Would download/install/remove packages.
    $

    $ aptitude show gimp | grep -i ^auto
    Automatically installed: yes

  I haven't persued the full rdepends graph for each of these packages.
There seem no other reason why they would be removed.

  Thinking about it, all the specific xserver-xorg-video drivers that does
NOT match my hardware seem to be automatically installed, and rdepends only
on xserver-xorg-video-all.  Why none of them will be removed when removing
xserver-xorg-video-all?  I mean, none of them appear in the output above.
Would one need to remove them manually?