Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Released

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > After an upgrade one should always go looking for those files and
> > handling them.
> >   find /etc -name '*.dpkg-*'
> >   find /etc -name '*.ucf-*'
> >
> > Either merge them, or remove them.  Leaving them as clutter and lint
> > makes it harder to tell what is happening later.
> >
> > This above needs to be communicated more often.  Look for
> > configuration files and merge them or remove them.
>
> The Release Notes currently have this in Appendix A.
>   <title>Removing obsolete configuration files</title>
>   Before upgrading your system to &releasename;, it is recommended to
>   remove old configuration files ...
>   <title>Configuration changes</title>
>   During the upgrade, you will be asked questions regarding the configuration
>   or re-configuration of several packages.  When you are asked if any file in
>   the <filename>/etc/init.d</filename> directory, or the
>   <filename>/etc/manpath.config</filename> file should be replaced by the
>   package maintainer's version, it's usually necessary to answer
>   <quote>yes</quote> to ensure system consistency.
>
> Maybe one or both need expanding?

I think so.  Yes.  I am not sure what to say there.  They are already
saying the right things.  Clean before the upgrade so that you can
tell what is old and what is new.  Merge and clean after the upgrade
to complete it.  But I think this should be communicated much more
strongly.  Because it seems that that many people do not know about
doing this and old forgotten files create problems in later upgrades.

Bob

P.S.  One down and only 858 more unread debian-user messages to read
through now! :-)