Re: Kobo eReader and Linux Problems (WAS: Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased)

On Sun, 12 May 2013, Siard wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> [about the Kobo Touch e-reader]
> > Actually, I had read you don't have to create a Kobo account.  Just
> > click out of it. But it will pester you to set one up every time you
> > boot.
>
> I created an account with a fake e-mail address (xx@xx.xx) which made
> it work and then never looked at it again.

If you don't want e-mail from Kobo, you can choose not to get it.  No
need for a fake e-mail address.  And as far as I can determine, Kobo
does not share your address.

> > Updates are automatic when you boot or sync.  I've found no why to
> > stop it.  You can delay it until the next boot, but not stop it.
>
> I switched off the device's WiFi and never used Kobo Desktop, so it is
> not connected to the internet and never gets an automatic update.

Then the only way to get books on the device is with the microSD card,
and as I've said my ereader has problems with the card.

I don't use the Kobo Desktop either.  It's not really needed.  I just
log in to my account with a standard web browser, add books I want,
either paid or free, to my Library from Kobo's repsoitory, then download
them to the ereader's internal memory via "sync".  Of course, I need
wifi for that. And syncing updates the software, too, when there is one.
I can also do all that from the reader itself without the need of a
computer, but you need wifi, and sync IIRC is still run, so the reader
and your Kobo account on Kobo's server are the same.

> > It only got recognized as a USB device when I reset it to the
> > initial factory software, but the first upgrade stopped that.
> > There have been two upgrades since.  Nothing has changed.
>
> You can't reset the device to the initial factory software and keep it
> away from the internet? DRM-free books can be added via USB or microSD
> card, and for adding DRM'ed books I have Adobe Digital Editions in
> Windows in VirtualBox.

I tried the factory reset, but there was such a considerable difference
in features, usability and performance between it and the first software
upgrade that I had to go with the newer software even if it meant
loosing the SD card access.

> BTW, I know ADE could be installed with Wine, but I haven't found out
> yet if and how Wine will work with USB.

I haven't messed with ADE yet.  There are plenty of free and non-free
epub books out there.