Re: Debian in the sunshine? transreflective screen?

On Thu, 09 May 2013 00:19:26 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I'm a long-time user of Debian, and also have an e-paper ebook reader.
>> It occurs to me that something like a Debian laptop with an e-ink
>> screen would be extremely useful, for, say, sitting on a sunny back
>> porch in the summer and programming -- a situation where the normal
>> luminous screens are a complete washout.  No, I don't expect to be able
>> to watch videos on
>
> You might like to try and find a laptop with a transflective screen.
>

>         Stefan

Looking that up, I find Pixel Qi (and I suspect the Qi is pronounced
Chi).  Apparently someone has even taken a laptop apart and replaced the
screen with one of Pixel Qi's, so there is at least some measure of
physical and electronic compatibility with the usual screens.  He said it
improved battery life. too.  But it's not clear whether you can just
order a replacement screen for a particular laptop form them, or whether
this is a carefully managed demo.   Nor do I know how good the image is
-- there are just too many ways of doing things with cameras for me to be
sure.

Anyone have any user experience with transreflective screens?

Are they like the LCD screens on the old Nintendo hand-helds -- the ones
with an optional backlight?  If so, are they better now?

Aparently Pixel Qi is a spinoff from the OLPC project.

-- hendrik