Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

On Wed, 08 May 2013, Mark Allums wrote:

> and my Kobo Touch eReader absolutely
> > refuses to interface with Linux or even Windows XP running in
> > VirtualBox.  Kind of hypocritcal of Kobo since the OS that drives
> > the reader is Linux.

> There is a .deb available unofficially for Kobo from Kobo.  They will
> send you a dropbox link for it if you ask nicely, or you can Google
> around for it.  They seem to be nice guys in the US tech support, so
> don't berate them too much.

I'm always polite.  Just every couple of months, I e-mail customer
support a reminder: "Linux support yet?"  Their reply is usually "no"
or "we're working on it."

> A reasonably up-to-date Debian will treat an ereader as an mp3
> player, and you can move files on an off of it.  you need the MTP
> driver installed.

Good to know.  I'll check it out.

I simply don't know why Kobo excluded Linux to begin with.  The device
connects as a mass storage device on Windows and OSX.  (And used to on
Linux until they updated the OS last year.)  Also, I discovered quite by
accident, it will sometimes, if you leave it connected for 20 minutes
or so. However, once, or if, it's fully charged, it won't. Strange.