Re: No difference between Wheezy Live Free ISO and Nonfree ISO?

On Tue 07 May 2013 at 23:53:54 -0400, Darin wrote:

> I tried the Debian 7 (Gnome3 amd64) LiveCD, and Gnome kept defaulting to
> Fallback mode. I realized it wasn't loading the Radeon firmware, which is
> part of the nonfree firmware. So I downloaded the nonfree LiveCD ISO, and
> it still failed. Comparing the .packages lists, they are exactly the same.
> I then checked in the ISO itself, and the nonfree LiveCD contains no
> nonfree firmware (also checking /lib/firmware in squashfs). Is this wrong?
> I am new here, so maybe I am missing something.
>
> Free Source:
> http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/7.0.0/amd64/iso-hybrid/
>
> NonFree Source:
> http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/7.0.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/

A post to debian-live might not be a bad idea. Please link to it here if
you do make contact.

> Any help would be appreciated, and I do apologize if this is the wrong
> place to ask. Thanks!

The installer only prompts for firmware needed by kernel modules loaded
during the installation and the radeon module isn't used during
installation. This means radeon non-free firmware isn't on an unofficial
ISO such as

    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/
     cd-including-firmware/7.0.0/i386/iso-cd/firmware-7.0.0-i386-netinst.iso

(Long URL line broken into two)

You have to deal with this after booting into the new system. Try

   dmesg | grep firmware