Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

On Mon, 06 May 2013, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Lu, 06 mai 13, 10:43:02, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Mon, 06 May 2013, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >
> > > Could you please provide a reference for that? The collective
> > > wisdom on this list recommends to always use 'upgrade' and
> > > 'dist-upgrade' only if really required (e.g. packages not
> > > upgraded).
> >
> >    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
>
> Not anymore (hint: it's a wiki, so I took the liberty to change it).

From my reading, other than this wiki, 'dist-upgrade' is the
"recommended" method for upgrading Testing as it progresses toward
Stable. At which point, if you decide to stay with it as Stable, you
switch to 'upgrade'. Your sources should have been set to the release's
name and not 'testing', if this was your ultimate intention.  If,
however, you're staying with Testing, that is, your apt sources are set
to 'testing', you would continue to use 'dist-upgrade', and for all
practical purposes, Testing becomes a "rolling" release, of sorts.

Of course, this is a general recommendation.  I'm sure there are plenty
of exceptions.  But note:  I used 'dist-upgrade' for months without
problems as Wheezy progressed toward its stable designation.  Now that
it is, I will use 'upgrade' instead.  My apt sources have always been
set to "wheezy".