Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

On Mon, 06 May 2013, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Du, 05 mai 13, 19:30:00, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >
> > All that's required now is to cease using 'dist-upgrade' for
> > upgrading. Dist-upgrade was recommended in the user install manual
> > while Wheezy was still Testing. Now, that it's Stable, 'upgrade' is
> > the recommended method.
>
> Could you please provide a reference for that? The collective wisdom
> on this list recommends to always use 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade'
> only if really required (e.g. packages not upgraded).

   http://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

This now refers to Jessie, since its the new Testing, instead of
Wheezy, but otherwise it is the same, and ONLY applies when upgrading a
Testing status OS.

After reading this I did some more research--I no longer have those
links--and it was recommended to use 'dist-upgrade' for upgrading while
the OS is still Testing to be assured that it is fully upgraded, which
'upgrade' can fail to do, then when it becomes Stable to revert to
'upgrade' to maintain its "stable" state.

At least, that's my understanding of the process.