Re: sudoers vs admin group

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 04:10:41PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> Is there any (significant) difference between editing (adding a user
> to) the  _/etc/sudoers_ file and adding a person to the _admin
> group?_  Am I comparing apples and oranges?

Yes, it's different.

The admin group is a normal UNIX group. It confers no privileges
by itself other than the ability to read/write admin-group
files.

If /etc/sudo is configured to treat the admin group specially -- then
additional privileges may accrue from that.

However, it's more usual to create a sudo group, or a wheel
group, for those purposes.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.