Re: Aptitude / Debfoster incompatibility?

Robert Latest wrote:
> I usually use aptitude to install and de-install packages. Recently
> I've discovered debfoster and tried to use it to weed out unneeded
> packages. I got rid of some 100 packages using debfoster, but the nest
> time I started up aptitude, it wanted to re-install all of them (and
> it did, because I found no way around that).
>
> Strangely I couldn't find any mention of this on the Web.
>
> What's going wrong here?

Probably because aptitude and apt-get by default install Recommends:
in addition to Depends:.  (But not Suggests: .)  I don't know but I
guess that aptitude is trying to install packages that are used in
Recommends: that have been removed.

You can tell aptitude -R, --without-recommends to tell it to not
consider Recommends: as Depends: and see if that fixes things.

Bob