Re: Without SKYPE?

On Fri 03 May 2013 at 09:40:57 +0300, Lars Noodén wrote:

> On 5/2/13 11:08 PM, Brian wrote:
> >
> > Users on SIP-network-X can only communicate with SIP-network-Y is not an
> > unknown situation. How does that differ from Skype?
>
> I haven't run into that yet.  Which SIP networks are to be avoided?

There is a large number of SIP providers so a list is not possible.
Also, a provider might not be very forthcoming about all details of its
service and testing might be the only way of finding out.

However, SIP-ID@sipgate.co.uk works for phones registered with the
network (just like Skype). There is no connection established when the
call is from another network (again, just like Skype).

It is some time since I last looked into this but I think the Betamax
VoIP products also do the same; communication using SIP between users on
the same network but none from outside. Actually, they may not even
allow their own registered phones to contact other SIP phones on a
different network.

The openness of the protocol does not guarantee open communication.