what is /usr/lib/mime/packages/<package> used for?

hi,

in my case, /usr/lib/mime/packages/freeplane looks like this
(I'm developing this package, it's in experimental):

application/x-freeplane; /usr/bin/freeplane '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"; description="Freeplane MindMap file"; textualnewlines; nametemplate=%s.mm

Since there is also /usr/share/mime/packages/freeplane.xml, what is the
above file used for? My tests show that it probably does not affect
"file --mime foo.mm" (and /usr/share/mime/packages/freeplane.xml affects
the way that mime types are handled by GNOME/KDE).

Thanks!

Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter