Re: encrypt connection pc to proxy server

On Tuesday 05 March 2013 14:12:30 Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 05:59:55PM +0100, oxy wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > I wander if I can encrypt the connection of my pc to my proxy server,

> > so that my ISP does not know where i am surfing.

> > As far as I know proxy only secures you on the other side

> > (proxy - remote site connection).

> It depends on your proxy server, really. If you control the proxy server

> you could set up an encrypted VPN between yourself and it, or

> investigate if the proxy server software supports encrypted connections.

> However, if you don't trust your ISP, why do you trust the ISP of your

> proxy server?

Wise words ...

oxy: What do you consider to be "secure"? Secure/safe from what?

Do you have ssh access to your proxy-server? Do you control sshd.config? In that case it will be easy to set up a tunnel with OpenSSH, which encrypts your connection. Aside from OpenSSH on _nix boxes that would also allow you to use the proxy from any (alien) Windows box, using BitViseTunnelier, for example.

For more detailed info you need to give more info on your setup and about what you are aiming for.

Kind regards

Eike