Re: Debian on 256MB PIII TabletPC

Dear Steven,

Steven Grunza wrote:

> Hello.  I would like to install Debian on a laptop with 256 MB of RAM.
> Is this possible?

Installing the system shouldn’t be a problem.

> I realize this system is _NOT_ going to be a performance machine.  I
> plan on using it for text editing (in laptop mode using keyboard) and
> taking handwritten notes (in slate mode)

However, I don’t know whether the tablet will work. If Ubuntu had
problems, chances are that Debian (and in fact, any Linux) has the
same problems.

> I know Fedora (at least version 17 and 18) has checks in place to
> prevent installation on low memory systems.  Does Debian have a similar
> restriction?

Yes. Last time I tried, it complained with less than 96 MB and
switched to a special mode at less than 64 MB, though that was 2-3
years ago, IIRC. 256 MB should be perfectly fine.

Best,

Claudius
--
Please don’t CC me.