Re: Installation failed

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 17:28:12 +1300
Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:

> We have a _community_, each member of which knows some stuff. People
> can help by mentioning the bits that they know, and putting it
> together with the bits that other people know. When you read the
> comments, you can also pick and choose the bits that precisely match
> your situation, and infer bits that loosely match.
>
> Someone else may read Miles' comments, and realise how that fits with
> your situation, and provide a tip that works. Telling people to stop
> contributing has no positive outcome whatsoever.
>
> The whole system works completely differently from proprietary
> commercial software. In some ways it may not work as well, in other
> ways it clearly (to me, anyway) works better. You have to adapt to
> get the best out of it, rather than trying to bully us all into
> working the way you're used to.

Actually, the most Windows help you can get is from former newsgroups,
now web forums, which are rather like this, though sponsored by
Microsoft. Occasionally MS people look in and often give technically
correct answers, but also often betray limited real-world experience.
The real help comes from unpaid regulars, just as here. They also
sometimes feel the need to remind rather zealous help-seekers about the
'unpaid' aspect.

--
Joe