Re: Installation failed - and failed again...

On 2013/3/1 6:58 PM, Brian wrote:
On Fri 01 Mar 2013 at 18:44:55 -0500, Mark Filipak wrote:

Regarding installing onto the USB hard drive...

I booted from USB thumb drive, then tried to install from that (using
its built-in Debian Installer) onto a USB hard drive. That also
failed, same problem as when I attempted to install to a 2nd USB thumb
drive: GRUB failed (automatically) and then LILO failed (manually
selected). I aborted the installation.

Unfortunately, the experiment failed. As I originally thought, the
problem is not with flash structures, its with USB implementation. Or,
at least, that's how it appears.

Appearences are deceptive. The fundamental cause of the problem and its
solution has nothing to do with USB.

[Snip]

Now I'm going to go back to attempting to install from USB flash stick
to USB hard drive... (stay tuned to this channel).

Any chance of a sight of what syslog reports when GRUB fails to install?

How do I get to the syslog?
If that was important, wouldn't the syslog be displayed automatically?
How am I to know about the syslog?